Information for Scholars & PhD-level Students

General Information about the Residence Permit Application

This information is for those who have received Fulbright scholar grants and for those who have received Fulbright student grants to carry out research at the PhD level. With few exceptions “PhD level” means that you already have earned a master’s degree. If you will have student status at your host Norwegian university, you should apply for a student permit

  • Use UDI’s online application portal to apply.
  • NB: You should not apply for a visa; American citizens must apply for a residence permit. Scholars should do so as a “Researcher with Own Funds.”
  • Though you will not be employed in Norway, and your permit is technically for research and/or teaching, to get to the right application form, click on “Work immigration.” Then click on “vocational training and research” followed by “Researcher with own funds.” After navigating further, you will come to a page that asks again what kind of work you will be doing. You again select “Vocational training and research.” For the subsequent question about what you will be doing precisely, select “Researcher with enough money to manage financially,” (NOT “Researcher with employer in Norway”).

Duration of Residence Permit

It is possible to apply for a 12-month permit as long as you can show that you have sufficient funding (see below). Scholars whose projects last for 9-10 months should apply for a 12-month permit if they wish to remain in Norway/the Schengen area for vacationing etc. after the completion of their Fulbright project.

Documents to be included:

Please see the UDI checklist for what to enclose with your application.


  • Single Scholars:  You must document sufficient funding for the time you plan to spend in Norway. Your Fulbright grant will be sufficient, and the only documentation you need to enclose is your Grant Award document.
  • Scholars with accompanying dependents (spouse and/or children): Applicant and spouse/cohabitant must  have an income of at least NOK 300,988 per year pre-tax.
%d bloggers like this: